Monday, September 12, 2011

What A Small World It Can Be


I recently received an email from two Chinese exchange students who are studying at my alma mater, the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.  I was shocked to hear that they had received my email address and information from my parents at the recent football game.  They happened to be sitting next to them and my parents, being the friendly people they are, started up a conversation.  They learned that these two students came from a university in Beijing and are studying at U of I for one semester.  My parents taught them the rules of the game and shared many stories with them of their dedication to U of I.

I emailed these two students back asking what they are enjoying about studying in America and what they miss about their home country, China.  After living in China for over a year, I recognize the many differences between the two cultures and how difficult and exciting it can be for an exchange student.  I have had to deal with many hardships adjusting to Chinese culture and I am sure that for many exchange students, living in America is a shock to what they are used to.

I stumbled upon an article on NPR explaining the struggles that these cross-cultural students can have.  It gives many examples of how awkward and un-relatable living in another culture can be.
Take a look: From China to the U.S.: Student Juggles Two Worlds

Some of you may know that I studied abroad twice while in college.  I went on a short-term winter trip to Benin, Africa in 2007 and a semester long study in Tuscany, Italy in 2008.  It was because of these opportunities that I am living and working in China today.  I recognized my passion for international work and the desire to learn more about other cultures. I encourage everybody to either study abroad while in school or go on short term trips.  They are invaluable experiences and often life changing.

My parents at the U of I football game...Go Illini!!

No comments:

Post a Comment